The financial news media inundates us with frequent fearful messages as well as helpful ones. It is easy to get glued to the TV waiting to hear the next bad news. When ominous messages and strong personal beliefs intersect and combine, many people finally feel compelled to act, out of feelings of scarcity and worry.
But fear-based decisions are usually poor ones. (This is what causes people to sell low and buy high.) Instead, take a breath and gain perspective.
There are easy ways to make smarter prosperity decisions:
- Practice awareness of where you are on the continuum of financial emotions containing fear, scarcity, or abundance. Check your thoughts and determine where your awareness lies. Take the Abundance-O-Meter Quiz for a quick assessment!
- To move up on the Abundance-O-Meter, pay attention to what you say to yourself and to others. Do your beliefs sound like this? “I’ll never be able to put away enough money.” If so, catch your voice in action and state Cancel! Clear! out loud when that unwelcome thought comes through. That tells your mind to erase that thought- just like hitting the delete button on your computer.
- Practice expecting lavish abundance. Create a new money-mindset by deliberately saying daily a phrase like “I expect, receive, and am grateful for the daily abundance that always flows in many ways into my life.” If the words “lavish abundance” don’t work for you, try “Unlimited Wealth” or find words that fit for you.
- Have the courage to give up your Same Old Story. We have all had events we did not prefer: a divorce, financial loss or health issue. They were real and gave us a nasty jolt. Get a grip and break your routine when you launch into your old story. You will leave behind a past that brought you pain and unhappiness when you leave behind its story.
- Turn your attention toward gratitude. Teach yourself to review each morning or evening the actual things, events, and people you are grateful for in your life-right now. This practice will ground you in the present and bring you a sense of true fulfillment.